Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Guest Post

First of all...we apologize for our podcasting hiatus, but as we've previously shared, we've been spending what is normally our podcasting time to co-write a book that should be published this August.  We promise to have a podcast soon, but for now, we have to share with you this guest post from one of our listeners...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Becoming a Connected Educator 
by Patricia Wilson, originally posted at The Assistant Principal's Office

I have the blessing (or curse, depending on your point of view) of living 25 miles from my school.  That makes for a relatively long drive twice every day.  Over the past 4 years I have grown accustomed to using this time for reflection.  I turn off the radio and simply let the quiet envelop me.  Recently though I decided to try something new and I found a educational leaders podcast called "Principalcast" on itunes.  I downloaded a couple of episodes and listened.  I didn't make it through a single broadcast before I was hooked.  I began looking forward to listening each afternoon.  The hosts, Jessica Johnson (@PrincipalJ), Theresa Stager (@PrincipalStager), and Spike Cook (@DrSpikeCook) made me laugh and nod my head as they discussed the highlights of their weeks and discussed key topics we all face.  (You can catch them on principalpln.com or @principalpln now.)  As I listened it became clear to me that there was something missing in my personal professional development.  I needed to have a way of expressing the excitement and enthusiasm I feel for education, without apology, to a group of educators who have a similar drive.  Thank you Jessica, Theresa and Spike for reminding me that there is a whole world of people like me who want to connect and discuss the passion we feel for educating our students.    


So I am slowly branching out into the world of connected educators.  My first trip has taken me into the world of Twitter.  Yes, I am a little ashamed to say that I was never more than a periodic lurker on Twitter until this past weekend.  Last night however I joined my first "Twitter Chat" at #APChat and it was amazing.  Those of you who get as excited as me about talking shop with others will understand.  Even though we were all over the country, I felt like I was connecting.  I was able to see what other people thought about instructional leadership and express my own views (I even got a few "favorites" to my ideas).  When it was over I was hyped up like a girl home from a first date.  I found myself wanting to go again. 


Now I stand on the edge of the connected educators' world, the lonely forest of "going it
alone" behind me and the expansive view of a marvelous new adventure ahead.  And so it begins....  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank YOU Patricia for such a humbling post. It's feedback like this that reminds us of why we started this podcast and that we need to get back at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment